First Congregational Church – Union City
Located on Broadway Street at north end of downtown district, Historic Marker reads:
On March 7, 1837, the Reverend Calvin Clark of Homer led sixteen people in organizing the First Congregational Church of Union City. The congregation is likely the oldest of this denomination in the state. This Romanesque Revival building dates from 1862. Additions and renovations occurred over the years to accommodate a growing membership. The original pipe organ and stained-glass windows were replaced during a major remodeling in 1917.
HISTORIAN NOTES (Dave McDonald):
The Union City Congregational church joined a newly organized conference of Congregational churches in Marshall, MI in 1841. The first regular minister was Rev. Charles W. Gurney, who split his time between this church and the one in Coldwater. The Ladies Benevolent Society was organized in 1838 for the purpose of aiding the local Potawatomi Indians who lived in the community. Church records predating 1872 were lost when a fire destroyed the Corbin-Tucker store. Mr. Tucker was the church clerk. In 1879 an alcove was built to house their new pipe organ. If you notice the Civil War memorials next to the church, a lot from the church property was given to the Corbin Post to erect the memorial site. In 1897 the Corbin Post added two Civil War Parrott cannons to the CW memorial.